Thursday, May 14, 2009

other liturgical occasions

It has been such a sad week around the church. Funerals and memorials are a regular part of any church musician's load, but when it is a friend and member of the choir, one must hope that the work helps deal with the grief. The unexpected death of one of our tenors (and trumpeter, and arranger, and all around musical impresario) has shaken me and the choir. Jim was also one of the driving forces behind this project- with his strong sense of pitch and adventurous musical sense, I could rest assured that the tenors would keep up, leaders would carry the alto and soprano sections, and I could keep those six basses pointed in the right direction. He was also the trumpeter for #48 "The Trumpet Shall Sound." It will be very difficult to do any of the remaining choruses without him.

I did briefly wonder what parts of Messiah might ever be fitting for a memorial service. I think I have heard #44 "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" in such a context; what else? Any ideas? This is a purely rhetorical exercise.

For the funeral, the choir sang three anthems: "Laudate Dominum" from Mozart Solemn Vespers (with a string ensemble), "Balm in Gilead" by William Dawson, and "Sing Me To Heaven" by Daniel Gawthrop. The last was a stretch, but the choir practically demanded it, and they distinguished themselves. Th strings played several times (including "Ashokan Farewell" and "Lovers' Waltz" by Ungar) and a brass quintet accompanied the hymns and also played a transcription of "Pie Jesu" from the Faure Requiem.

This service will stay with me a long time, but the project continues. In another week we have a pastoral installation!

No comments: